Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Save It For The Altar: Your First Kiss


Today my mind has been on Christians in the stressful, worldly industries in our society- specifically the acting industry. I've been watching a television show that so far has held up some fairly good morals- monogamous relationships, sticking with the person you are with no matter what, family values, keeping it real despite Hollyweird's pull, etc. The characters stay away from all forms of physical intimacy in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship except... kissing.

"Kissing?" they would ask, "What's the big deal? It's just acting." 

And yes, maybe at first it was just acting, but the second their lips touched, they were no longer indifferent to each other. An attraction has been formed. Why? Well, let's take a look at what scientists are saying now- that a kiss is not simply a kiss. It produces oxytocin, which acts like a neural glue to "stick" your emotions to whomever you kiss. Now, I admit that other scientists claim that actors can kiss without feeling anything, but I'm not sure I can really believe that because unless they hate the person they kiss, how is the glue "not working"? And way to confuse your brain! It thinks it's supposed to love one person, then in the next scene you kiss someone else and it goes "whaaaa?!" 

And then that makes me think, "What about those poor girlfriends/boyfriends/husbands/wives out there watching their beloveds 'performing' on stage?" How must they feel? And what must they be secretly wondering? It makes me feel so sad for them. 

And what about us everyday people that only kiss people we care about? Surely we aren't in danger here. Nowadays doesn't everyone kiss before they're married? Well, yeah, I have noticed this. Anyone with eyes can see it! But I remember something my dad told me after my first relationship tanked- rarely do you ever marry the first person you are in a relationship with. So that means everyone will probably kiss at least one person before they find the person they marry. But that's not the actual number, is it? According to one site, the average person dates 26 people and according to Scott Brown of The National Center For Family-Integrated Churches, the average woman will kiss 22 men! My poor brain is scrambled just thinking about such an emotional roller-coaster. 

So why do we do it? To attract the person we like, to confirm that we like someone, to show our affection, to feel confident and secure.... But shouldn't we already feel that way about the person we like before we even think about kissing them? 

Here is my proposal: for those of us who are not television stars, instead of kissing someone to confirm in our hearts that we "love" them, why don't we wait until the altar to show them that we love them? 

Just a thought.

2 comments:

  1. i read your article on purity and ir elly liked it i wanted to share with you about coming to jesus.
    “Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”
    If you decided to repent of your sins and receive Christ today, welcome to God's family. Now, as a way to grow closer to Him, the Bible tells us to follow up on our commitment.
    •Get baptized as commanded by Christ.
    •Tell someone else about your new faith in Christ.
    •Spend time with God each day. It does not have to be a long period of time. Just develop the daily habit of praying to Him and reading His Word. Ask God to increase your faith and your understanding of the Bible.
    •Seek fellowship with other followers of Jesus. Develop a group of believing friends to answer your questions and support you.
    •Find a local church where you can worship God.

    also i got this from allaboutgod.com
    if you want to grow in personal relationship with jesus please also listen to christian music klove.com....also do what you sya above not to kiss spouse til altar or affection becuase it can stem us into sex before marriage. i also want to encourage youto read bibel and surrender whole life to jesus. ask Jesus who one for you is pray to HIm and say Lord show me who one for me is and then even then dont touch it, pray God lead your husband or spouse to ask you to marry him. elisabeth elliott and jim elliott is a great story they knew they were meant for each other but they didnt date for 5.5 years and only when God told him he could marry her did they marry. Passion and purity was the book i read. pray your husband will also become the man that God wants him to become. let God shape and nmold each of you to be what God wants you to be.
    desiringgod.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for caring about my spiritual life! That was a very thorough comment and I can tell you love Christ and others very much. But, if you read a few posts back, you will see that I have already come to Jesus Christ and I am now an MK and PK. God has done some amazing things in my life and I pray He will continue to do so. Thank you, again!

      Delete